HEALING ANXIETY WITH HERBS
Bhatt Mehul K,
Asst.professor, PhD continue
Department of Pharmacognosy,
Shivam Pharmaceutical Studies & Research Centre,
Valasan-388 326, Anand-380 015, Gujarat, India.
Now-a-days many people of the world are suffering from anxiety, stress and depression. They experience feelings of anxiety before an important event such as exam, business deal or first date. Anxiety disorders however are illness that fills people’s lives with unreal & imaginary fear that are chronic, unremitting and can grow progressively worse. By now, most of us know that anxiety is quite a common complaint and many people have tried some of the various medications used for anxiety. But many don’t know that there are a variety of herbs available used to treat anxiety in natural way. This article includes, “What is Anxiety?” Herbs used to cure Anxiety, depression, and Stress”, and “Natural Self-Healing”.
Reference Id: PHARMATUTOR-ART-1626
Most people experience feelings of anxiety before an important event such as exam, business deal or first date. Anxiety disorders however are illness that fills people’s lives with unreal & imaginary fear that are chronic, unremitting and can grow progressively worse. Tormented by panic attacks, obsessive thoughts, flashbacks, nightmares, or countless frightening physical symptoms, some people with anxiety disorders even become housebound.
Different kinds of anxiety disorders:
· Panic Disorder: Repeated episodes of intense fear that strike often without warning. Physical symptoms include chest pain, heart palpitations, and shortness of breath, dizziness, and abdominal distress, feelings of unreality and fear of dying.
· Obsessive compulsive disorder: Repeated unwanted thoughts or compulsive behaviors that seem impossible to stop or control.
· Post-traumatic stress disorder: persistent systems that occur after experiencing a traumatic event such as rape or other criminal assault, war, child abuse, natural disasters, or crashes. Nightmares, flashbacks, numbing of emotions, depression and feeling angry, irritable or distracted and being easily startled are common.
· Phobias: two major types of phobias are social phobia and specific phobia. People with social phobia have an over whelming and disabling fear of scrutiny, embarrassment, or humiliation in social situations, which leads to avoidance of many potentially pleasurable and meaningful activities. People with specific phobia experience extreme, disabling and irrational fear of something that poses little or no actual danger; the fear leads to avoidance of objects or situations and can cause people to limit their lives unnecessarily.
· Generalized anxiety Disorder: constant exaggerated worrisome thoughts and tension about everyday routine life events and activities, lasting at least six months. Almost always anticipating the worst even though there is little reason to expect it. Accompanied by physical symptoms, such as fatigue, trembling, muscle tension, headache or nausea.
Herbal treatment of anxiety[5-18]:
Healing anxiety with herbs has been a topic of hot debate in recent years as our ideas about wellness and natural living have begun to influence our lives. When you are for vitamin or an herb for anxiety, it can seem difficult to find good information that will help you make the right decision.
It is essential that medical intervention be sought at the earliest to avoid long term harm that extended anxiety can have overall health. These days, natural treatments for anxiety are gaining importance, of which diet and herbs form two important pillars. Clinical researches has shown that in many cases, eliminating coffee alone can in itself be a complete solution for anxiety relief. Anxiety disorders are linked to hypoglycemia as well and so those who are prone to low blood sugar levels should ensure that they reduce the consumption of simple sugars and replace them with whole grains. The addition of proteins to your diet can help in avoiding anxiety attacks. Another treatment for panic attack is gaining acceptance with people as well as the medical fraternity is herbal remedies. They essentially provide relaxing and calming effect on the human body. Since some herbal remedies may interact with other prescription drugs, it is advisable that these remedies be tried in consultation with a physician.
Herbs like kava-kava and valerian roots have been used traditionally. Kava has been shown to be effective clinically for the treatment of anxiety disorders using a dose of 300 mg kava extract per day.
The herb Valerian acts as a tranquilizer as it promotes relaxation without affecting mental alertness. Clinically minimum of 0.8% valerenic acid have been found to be highly effective.
The good news is that it is not habit forming. The other herbs used, though not tested clinically are California poppy, hops, Ashwagandha, Passion flower, Chamomile and Catnip.
Most of the herbal preparations commercially available are usually a combination of tow or more herbs i.e. polyherbal formulation.
- Winter cherry (Ashwagandha), Withania somnifera
- Valerian root (Valeriana officinalis)
- Jatamansi (Indian spike nard) Nardostachys jatamansi
- St. johns wort (Hyercium perforatum)
- Krishna kamal(Passion flower) Passiflora somnifera
- Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
- King's Crown(Rhodiola rosea)
- Banana (5-HTP, 5-Hydroxytryptophan)
These herbs for anxiety are either adaptogens or natural sedatives. When combined with vitamin-B complex and vitamin-C, these herbs strengthen the body’s response to stress, reducing occasional & social anxiety or panic attack.
NOW YOU CAN ALSO PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE ONLINE.
SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE/PROJECT AT firstname.lastname@example.org
FIND OUT MORE ARTICLES AT OUR DATABASE