WHO is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
Post : Roster of International Consultant – Laboratory expert on quality management systems - (2305608)
The WHO South-East Asia Regional Office in Delhi serves 11 countries, that have nearly 1.9 billion people residing in these countries with a combined annual birth cohort of nearly 38 million infants. Immunization is one of the most cost-effective public health interventions and all countries of the Region give high importance to their national immunization programme (NIP).
The objective of the programme is to promote and support Member States in the South-East Asia Region to strengthen surveillance of vaccine preventable diseases and improve immunization performance. Laboratory network for vaccine preventable diseases is an integral component of disease surveillance program. Since case classification is based on laboratory results reported to the program, maintaining quality functioning of all the laboratories of various vaccine preventable diseases is a critical and intense activity.
Under the overall guidance of the Coordinator, IVD and in close collaboration with Scientist, Virology (IVD), the consultant/expert will be expected to carry out time-limited assignments in the following areas:
• Technical support in monitoring VPD laboratory network for adherence to WHO recommended laboratory standards and procedures. This may include assistance in conducting desk reviews or on-site assessments of laboratories.
• Technical assistance to laboratories in implementation of laboratory quality standards and follow up of corrective actions for closure of non-compliance identified.
• Assistance in procurement of laboratory supplies and logistics support for ensuring continuous availability of diagnostic kits and consumables in VPD laboratory network.
• Development of manuscript on e-assessment methodology implemented by IVD-SEARO for quality assurance of measles rubella laboratory network of the region.
• Development of regional laboratory manual on WHO recommended testing methodology for Japanese Encephalitis (JE) and invasive bacterial diseases (IBD). Establish linkages between JE and IBD laboratory network or sentinel sites for data sharing and sample referrals.
• Assist in monitoring of research project on development of measles rubella rapid diagnostic test kits with South Asian University.
• Assist in conducting meeting of national authorities of containment, national task force, poliovirus essential facilities and national committees for certification of poliovirus for progress updates.
Educational Qualifications :
• University degree in science or relevant field from a recognized university.
• Master’s degree in microbiology or life sciences from recognized university.
Essential: At least 5-10 years of experience in laboratory related area in a developing country.
• Working experience at national level with some as international exposure.
• Experience in diagnosis of viral and bacterial diseases.
• Experience in developing diagnostic algorithms as per the internationally accepted norms in a resource limited setting.
Skills / Knowledge:
• Knowledge of principles of various diagnostic tests including serology, molecular assays (real-time PCR and end point PCR), and sequencing.
• Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills, with the ability to communicate complex issues clearly and concisely.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders in government and beyond, including other development agencies.
• Skills in training and facilitation
Location : On site: IVD-SEARO, New Delhi
Travel : Bangladesh, Bhutan, Timor Leste: on-site assessment of JE laboratory: exact dates will be decided later in coordination with concerned laboratories
Remuneration and budget (travel costs are excluded)
Remuneration: Band level-B; monthly remuneration from USD 7000 – USD 9980
Living expenses - Per diem will be paid as per WHO rules applicable to international consultant for travel.
Expected duration of contract: 9 months
• This vacancy notice is being issued for establishing Roster for International consultant.
• Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
• A written test may be used as a form of screening.
• If your candidature is retained for interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/ diploma(s)/certificate(s) in English required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
• For information on WHO's operations please visit : who.int.
• WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
• WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
• Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
• WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
• WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
• Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between WHO and the Consultant.
• WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by WHO.
Last Date : Jul 18, 2023, 3:29:00 AM
See All Other Jobs in our Database