NISER recognizes that modern scientific research is carried out in interstices amongst fuzzy domains and blurred boundaries. This entails encouraging a new scientific culture where members of our community attain to an intellectual agility unconstrained by the limitations of disciplinary conventions from the past. Faculty and Students will be given generous material support in the pursuit to realize this objective. Time and conversational space will be devoted to nascent propositions and hypothesis and the significantly small student-faculty ratio, an eventual full strength of 2000 students and 300 faculty, manifests the Institutes investment and hope in the future.
Applications are invited from Indian citizens for admission to Ph.D program scheduled to commence from 28th July, 2020 in the following schools of NISER, Bhubaneswar:
1. School of Biological Sciences (SBS)
2. School of Chemical Sciences (SCS)
3. School of Computer Sciences (SCPS)
4. School of Earth & Planetary Sciences (SEPS)
5. School of Humanities and Social Sciences (SHSS)
6. School of Mathematical Sciences (SMS)
7. School of Physical Sciences (SPS)
60% or equivalent GPA in Masters or M. Tech or M. Pharm in any branches of Agricultural Sciences, Biology, Life Sciences, Pharmacy (any specialization), Veterinary Sciences, Computer Sciences, Bioinformatics and Biotechnology. Students with Master’s degree in Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics having interest in pursuing a career in Biology are also encouraged to apply.
60% or equivalent GPA in Masters in Chemistry or allied Chemistry fields. Student with Master’s degree in any branches of Basic Sciences with undergraduate degree in Chemistry (or chemistry as one of the subjects) or M.Tech in applied Chemistry or Computer Sciences with interest in pursuing a career in Chemistry are also encouraged to apply.
60% or equivalent GPA in Masters in Computer Science, Electrical, Electronics Engineering or related fields, or Mathematics.
Earth & Planetary Sciences
60% or equivalent GPA in Masters in Physics, Chemistry, Space, Earth, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences OR M.Tech in Space Technology, Hydrological and Earth System Sciences
Humanities and Social Sciences
55% or equivalent GPA in Masters in Social Sciences or in allied disciplines.
60% or equivalent GPA in Masters in Mathematics or Computer Science.
60% or equivalent GPA in Masters in Physics or M.E/M.Tech in Applied Physics.
Requirement of Qualifying in National Level Examinations for pursuing Ph.D program
School of Biological Sciences - Candidates should have qualified at least one of the National Level Examinations i.e. CSIR-UGC-NET (LS or JRF)/ GATE/ JEST/ GPAT/ DBT/ ICMR/ JGEEBILS or any other equivalent national level examination valid for the academic year 2020-2021.
School of Chemical Sciences - Candidates should have qualified at least one of these National Level Examinations i.e. CSIR-UGC NET (LS or JRF)/ GATE valid for the academic year 2020-2021.
School of Computer Sciences – Candidates should have qualified at least one of these National Level Examinations i.e. CSIR-UGC-NET (LS or JRF)/ GATE/ JEST valid for the academic year 2020-2021.
School of Earth and Planetary Sciences – Candidates should have qualified at least one of these National Level Examinations i.e. CSIR-UGC-NET (LS or JRF)/ GATE/ JEST valid for the academic year 2020-2021. 'School of
Humanities & Social Sciences – Candidates should have qualified at least one of the National Level Examinations i.e. UGC-NET (LS or JRF)/ ICSSR fellowship or any other equivalent national level examination valid for the academic year 2020-2021.
School of Mathematical Sciences - Candidates should have qualified at least one of these National Level Examinations i.e. CSIR-UGC-NET (LS or JRF)/ GATE/ NBHM* or any other equivalent national level examination valid for the academic year 2020-2021.
* A student will be considered to be qualified in National Level Written Examination conducted by NBHM if he/she has received call letter from NBHM to appear in the interview for PhD fellowship 2020 (irrespective of getting selected for NBHM PhD fellowship 2020 or not).
School of Physical Sciences – Candidates should have qualified at least one of these National Level Examinations i.e. CSIR-UGC-NET (JRF only)/ GATE/ JEST valid for the academic year 2020-2021.
(a) The cut off marks for national examination such as GATE/ JEST/ GPAT/ NBHM/ JGEEBILS/ CSIR-UGC-NET etc will be further decided by each School for the relevant subject area.
(b) Those who have appeared for CSIR-UGC-NET examination held in December, 2019 and awaiting results may also apply. However, such candidates, if shortlisted have to produce the qualifying mark statement of CSIR-UGC-NET (LS or JRF) exam on the date of Ph.D written test / interview failing which his/her candidature will be rejected automatically.
(c) As per HBNI Ordinance, student having INSPIRE Fellowship Doctoral Fellowship ONLY, without qualifying any other national level written examination will not be considered for admission to Ph.D program in NISER. (d) Candidates with GPA in qualifying degree may need to produce the conversion note (in case it is not mentioned in their mark sheet) from their institution towards calculation of percentage.
1. The institute fellowship given by NISER is Rs 31,000/- for first two years, which will subsequently be enhanced to Rs 35,000/- for remaining three years, subject to the condition that he/she fulfills all the requirements of the Institute that will be stipulated from time to time. Page No 3/5
2. Students with external fellowship from agencies viz. CSIR, UGC etc will be eligible to draw fellowship as per the extant rules of the respective funding agencies.
Find More Info Go to Next Page...
Research Areas for some schools School of Biological Sciences
• Regulation of cell adhesion and signaling in Helicobacter pylori-mediated gastric cancer progression. (Dr. Asima Bhattacharyya Lab)
• Molecular Genetics and Epigenetics of Ageing Disorders: Neurodegeneration and Cancer (Dr. Debasmita P. Alone Lab)
• Understanding the Translatinal Control mechanism in Eukaryotes (Dr Pankaj V Alone Lab)
• Molecular Microbiology: Functional significance of membrane proteins and mechanisms underlying bacterial persistence. (Dr. Harapriya Mohapatra Lab)
• Cell based models for characterizing small molecules in the area of drug discovery (Dr. V. Badireenath Konkimalla Lab)
• Interaction of light and auxin in shaping development in plants; Role of splice variant of constsns, CO like and GIGANTEA in the regulation of Florigen (Dr. Kishore CS Panigrahi Lab)
• Molecular Genetics of Gallbladder cancer; putative angiogenic regulators and tumorigenesis (Dr. Manjusha Dixit Lab)
• Neuroendocrine regulation, Neural circuitry of energy balance and reproduction (Dr. Praful S. Singru Lab)
• Cellular Regulation of morphogenesis and degradation of complex cell shapes (Dr. Renjith Mathew Lab)
• Mechanism of membrane remodelling during host-pathogen interactions. (Dr. Mohammed Saleem Lab)
NOTE : Only the above-mentioned labs have vacancies in SBS and the final number of vacancies filled will be the prerogative of the School.
School of Computer Sciences Research Areas: Algorithms focusing on Game Theory, Social Choice theory, and Online Computation, Computational Geometry, Cryptography and Cyber Security, Cyber Physical Systems, Graph Algorithms, Information Theory, Machine Learning.
School of Earth and Planetary Sciences
• Astrochemistry/Cosmochemistry, Astrobiology, Radio/sub-mm/infrared astronomy to study origin of sun-like stars and planetary systems such as our own solar-system, Exoplanets and its atmospheres, High resolution astronomical spectroscopy of solarsystem objects (e.g. comets, asteroids) using ground or space telescopes (e.g. ALMA, NASA’s SOFIA and JWST), Planetary atmospheres
• Planetary geology and early Earth geology; Planetary mineralogy and morphology using spacecraft data (e.g., ISRO’s Chandrayaan, NASA Dawn, NASA Cassini, ISRO and NASA Mars missions, etc.); Asteroids & comets & meteorites & analogues and the early solar system science; Geochemical and geologic evolution of planetary bodies; Geology and evolution of icy planetary bodies & analogues
• Regional hydro-climatology; vegetation-climate interactions, especially in forested ecosystems of Amazonia, the Indian subcontinent and Himalayas; boundary layer and atmospheric modeling; physical processes behind convection; Heat wave phenomenology and regional vulnerability; thermodynamic impacts of aerosols and implications on regional climate.
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
English and Psychology
School of Mathematical Sciences
Algebraic Geometry, Algebraic Graph Theory, Cryptography, Differential Equations, Differential Geometry, Discrete Mathematics, Functional Analysis, Harmonic Analysis, Incidence Geometry, Number Theory, Probability Theory, Statistics.
• The selection committee of the respective schools will short-list the candidates among those who meet the minimum educational qualifications and satisfy additional criteria which each school may set as deemed necessary.
• The short-listed candidates will be called for an interview, supplemented by a written test, if necessary, for the admission.
• Based on the academic record and the performance of the candidates in the selection process, the selection committee of the school will recommend candidates to the Chairman, Academic Council for admission to the Ph.D. program.
• All candidates called for the Test / Interview will be paid to and fro single, secondsleeper class railway fare by the shortest route from their place of residence to the Institute. They have to produce evidence (railway ticket) in support of their claim.
How to Apply
• The application form has to be filled up online at niser.ac.in and candidates should follow stepwise instructions mentioned to complete the application submission process. At the time of application, along with this online form, the candidate should upload soft copy of the supporting documents as per the eligibility criteria.
• Candidates intending to apply for more than one school should fill up separate online application forms for each school with appropriate supporting documents.
• Two sealed letters of reference in the prescribed format with signature of the referee on the envelope should be produced by the student at the time of interview. The copy of the reference letter is available online.
• NISER does not demand any application fee from the candidates who apply for Ph.D program.
Important dates :
• Online application will be activated on – 01.03.2020 (Sunday)
• Last date for filling up online application – 19-04.2020 (Sunday)
• Short-listed candidates list will be uploaded on NISER website
• Tentative dates for test/interview will be as follows:
1. School of Biological Sciences: 12.05.2020 – 14.05.2020
2. School of Chemical Sciences: 13.05.2020 – 14.05.2020
3. School of Computer Sciences 25.05.2020 – 26.05.2020
4. School of Earth & Planetary Sciences 26.05.2020 – 27.05.2020
5. School of Humanities and Social Sciences: 18.05.2020 – 19.05.2020
6. School of Mathematical Sciences 27.05.2020 – 29.05.2020
7. School of Physical Sciences: 22.05.2020 – 23.05.2020
• Each school will send the call letters to the candidates separately. Kindly refer to the
website for the announcement of the selected candidates.
• The registration is scheduled to be held on 24th July, 2020 (Friday).
See All Other Jobs in our Database