Wild Mushrooms consumption can Lead to Liver Failure, Even Death

  • Posted on: 20 July 2015
  • By: Shalini.Sharma

GPAT courses

Pharma courses

pharma courses

pharma courses



Study shows eating wild mushrooms can result in liver failure and even death because mistaking toxic mushrooms for edible varieties is common. The results were reported  in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal).

"Distinguishing safe from harmful mushrooms is a challenge even for mycologists," said Adina Weinerman, Division of General Internal Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, with co-authors.

The study focuses on a previously healthy 52-year-old immigrant woman of Asian descent who had foraged for wild mushrooms in a local park with her husband. The woman presented with severe abdominal pain and gastrointestinal distress, and eventually required a liver transplant. She had brought samples of the mushrooms -- the toxic species Aminata Bisporigera -- she had eaten.  People with poisoning from toxic mushrooms go through three phases.

Gastrointestinal symptoms including pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea (within six-24 hours after ingestion), is followed by a false "recovery" period in which the patient appears to improve. In the final phase, the patient's liver begins to fail, leading to multi-organ failure and potentially death.

Mushrooms of the Amanita genus, which includes over 600 types, cause most deaths from mushroom poisoning.


 

Latest News