Nurturing and maintaining strong relations with the academic community is a top priority at Google. The Google PhD Fellowship Program was created to recognize outstanding graduate students doing exceptional and innovative research in areas relevant to computer science and related fields. Fellowships support promising PhD candidates of all backgrounds who seek to influence the future of technology. Google’s mission is to foster inclusive research communities and encourages people of diverse backgrounds to apply. We currently offer Fellowships in Africa, Australia, Canada, East Asia, Europe, India, New Zealand, Southeast Asia and the United States.
The best and the brightest
Google PhD Fellowship students are a select group recognized by Google researchers and their institutions as some of the most promising young academics in the world. The Fellowships are awarded to students who represent the future of research in the following fields :
• Algorithms, Optimizations and Markets
• Computational Neural and Cognitive Sciences
• Health Research
• Human-Computer Interaction
• Machine Learning
• Machine Perception, Speech Technology and Computer Vision
• Mobile Computing
• Natural Language Processing (including Information Retrieval and Extraction)
• Privacy and Security
• Programming Languages and Software Engineering
• Quantum Computing
• Recommender Systems
• Structured Data and Database Management
• Systems and Networking
Students will need the following documents in order to complete an application (in English only) :
• Student applicant’s resume with links to website and publications (if available)
• Available transcripts (mark sheets) starting from first year/semester of Bachelor's degree to date
• Research proposal (maximum 3 pages, excluding references)
• 2-3 letters of recommendation from those familiar with the applicant's work (at least one from the thesis advisor for current PhD students)
How many students may each university nominate?
Applications are open directly to students with no limit to the number of students that can apply from a university.
Can students apply directly for a Fellowship?
Students must be nominated by an eligible university in order to be considered, except in Africa, India, and Southeast Asia where students may apply directly.
How are Google PhD Fellowships given?
Any monetary awards will be paid directly to the Fellow's university for distribution. No overhead should be assessed against them.
What are the intellectual property implications of a Google PhD Fellowship?
Fellowship recipients are not subject to intellectual property restrictions unless they complete an internship at Google. If that is the case, they are subject to the same intellectual property restrictions as any other Google intern.
Will the Fellowship recipients become employees of Google?
No, there will not be any employee relationship (except as an intern) between Fellowship recipients and Google.
Is my university eligible for the PhD Fellowship Program?
Applications are open to students in computer science (or an adjacent field) from any African or Indian university, or from any university in an eligible Southeast Asian country (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam).
See All Other Jobs in our Database