Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) can trace its origins to the ‘Ecole de Medicine de Pondicherry’ established by the French Government in 1823. In 1956 foundation for new medical college was laid and in 1964, hospital was inaugurated. JIPMER became an institution of national importance under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India in the year 2008. It is an institution established for teaching, research and patient care in the area of health. JIPMER spreads over 192 acres.