Uses of Enzymes
Uses of enzymes can be classified as:-
(1)Medicinal and Clinical Use:-
- Enzymes can be used for Aiding Digestion. Example: Amylases, Proteases and Lipase.
- They can also be used as Deworming agents. Example: Papain.
- Enzymes act as anti-clotting agents like Fibrinolytic and Thrombolytic. Examples: Urokinase and Streptokinase.
- Enzymes can be used as surface disinfectants. Example: Trypsin.
- They can also be used in the diagnosis purpose. Example: Glucose oxidase along with peroxidase to detect the level of glucose (colorimetric estimation).
Liver disease: SGPT, SGOT
Heart attacks (MI): SGOT
Myocardial Infarction: Creatine phosphokinase.
- Enzymes can be used in the textile industry. Example: Amylase as softening agent for starched clothes.
- They can also be used for Leather purpose. Example: Proteolytic purpose.
- Enzymes have the importance in the paper manufacturing. Examples: Endoxylanases for bleaching of Wood pulp.
They can be used in the manufacturing of organic compounds. Example: Bacterial enzymes for the manufacturing of acetone, butanol, lactic acid etc.
(3)Enzymes as Food and in food industry:-
- Enzymes can be used in the meat packing industry. Example: Papain which is proteolytic in action, therefore hydrolyses peptide bonds thus for tenderizing meat and beef .
Enzymes have their role in Manufacturing of cheese. Example: Rennin (chymosin) Found in stomach, converts milk protein casein to curd like calcium paracaseinate.
- Papain is used to stabilize chill proof bear. Yeast enzymes are also used in beverage industry.
- Lactose is used to prevent the formation of lactose crystals in ice-cream preparations.
- Several enzymes are used for detection of biochemical reactions.