Pfizer Invites Director Strategic Research Partnerships
Founded in 1849, Pfizer is the world's premier biopharmaceutical company taking new approaches to better health. We discover, develop, manufacture and deliver quality, safe and effective prescription medicines to treat and help prevent disease for both people and animals. We also partner with healthcare providers, governments and local communities around the world to expand access to our medicines and to provide better quality health care and health system support. At Pfizer, colleagues in more than 90 countries work every day to help people stay happier and healthier longer and to reduce the human and economic burden of disease worldwide.
Post: Director Strategic Research Partnerships
Position Title: Director / Senior Director, Strategic Research Partnerships, ERDI
Establish the new India - based function of Director / Senior Director, Strategic Research Partnerships within the Department of External R&D Innovation. Areas of focus include early R&D stage programs across therapeutic disciplines and encompassing enabling research technology platforms. The ideal candidate will thrive on the opportunity to initiate and lead innovative collaborative programs in a dynamic environment applying a highly externalized and virtual approach. Essential to represent Pfizer at external networking meetings and scientific conferences to present our vision and to respond to opportunities in the local region.
External R&D Innovation is a mechanism to connect Pfizer with leading external scientists and Biotech CSOs and academic research scientists that will be run by a high profile R&D team working closely with key internal R&D. The goal is to create and draw on global innovative external opportunities in both the biotech and academic space to strengthen Pfizer's R&D pipeline via strategic integration of select opportunities ensuring continued leadership in novel drug discovery.
This position will be essential in providing a competitive advantage to Pfizer by pursuing and integrating products, programs, or technologies addressing diverse opportunities in the External R&D portfolio built via external collaborations/partnerships. The incumbent will also support the Pfizer Global Incubator – expanding the Company’s activities to invest in start-up companies of early strategic interest to Pfizer Research and Development in a coordinated global effort – fully aligned with Pfizer Venture Investments and Pfizer Business Development.
• Report into Head, Strategic Research Partnerships within the ERDI organization
Resources Managed (budget and FTEs):
• No direct reports; heavily matrixed role with relationship leader responsibility; top line budget rests with ERDI organization; request and manage specific projects in coordination with ERDI and Research Unit (RU) Heads.
• Working with key partners in R&D, BD and Business Units define early-stage partnering strategy and identify external opportunities from the academic and start-up communities; incorporate internal and external expertise, organize and lead multifunctional teams; proactively seek alignment with existing and future internal capabilities.
• Using a network of expertise, identify specific research opportunities based on scientific innovative appeal, commercial opportunity, technical feasibility and clinical need.
• Interface between leading academic institutions and Pfizer Research Units, to identify and manage value-creating collaborations. Interact with external venture capital groups (as appropriate) and local/regional networks to ensure Pfizer is recognized as “Partner of Choice” through local presence and commitment to excellence in scientific discovery.
• Lead efforts to assist with due diligence, present outcomes and proposals to executive committees, support negotiation teams and bring opportunities to final approval with colleagues from business development and legal.
• Represent Pfizer at both Scientific and Business Development / BioPartnering meetings to deliver vision of External R&D Innovation, and to engage in proactively scouting new opportunities for collaboration with both academic and early-stage (up to phase I) discovery companies.
• Build regional networks in the scientific community to capitalize on the cutting edge science that will lead to future breakthroughs:
- Link into key academic institutions via University Technology Transfer Offices and Research labs/key scientists (jointly with RU/TU scientists)
- Harness academic & early biotech innovation globally:
- Built presence and networks in subject region
- Interface between Pfizer organizations and regional networks (Research, BU, Clinical)
- Build long term relationships & facilitate collaborations based on mutual scientific interest
- Identify and implement best business structures to secure scientific partnerships, including:
- Pre-competitive consortia
- Research collaborations (focus on multi RU/TU applications) & Post-doc programs
- Licensing options & ‘Incubate’ early opportunities of strategic fit
- Leverage Pfizer’s non-monetary assets (e.g., name, libraries, tools, reagents, etc.)
- Build and support a postdoctoral program within academic labs and aligned with strategic focus of Pfizer R&D
- Identify supplemental funding for research collaborations and incubator from external sources (eg, government, foundations, venture capital partners)
GO TO NEXT PAGE FOR MORE INFO...
PLEASE NOTIFY THAT THIS JOB IS EXPIRED.
FIND LATEST JOBS BY CLICKING LINKS BELOW.