Opening for Director, Science - Chemical Medicines in U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries
Post : Director, Science - Chemical Medicines
The Director, Science, Chemical Medicines is a key people leadership role within the Chemical Medicines Program Unit of the Science Division. The incumbent leads a team of Scientific Liaisons, ensuring alignment with the overall program unit and organization goals. The Director supervises the performance, training and development of the staff and ensures team work and collaboration within the team as well as with other key USP staff. The incumbent oversees all aspects of new monograph development and revision, and monograph modernization for teams aligned with the Small Molecules Expert Committees. The Director works closely with USP stakeholders across the organization to exchange information, obtain resources, solicit input, and advance the work.
Roles and Responsibilities
* Provides leadership to scientists working in the area of monograph development and revision in accordance with established SOPs, business practices and procedures;
* Builds and establishes appropriate processes and systems to effectively improve operating productivity and manage continuous improvement programs;
* Develops new and/or revises existing processes to facilitate efficient monograph development and revision;
* Manages and plans budget, projects, personnel and schedules to perform specific projects according to deliverables and overall business priorities;
* Develops and directs senior staff by active coaching and training while cultivating collaborative team culture, creative problem-solving and result-driven operations;
* Maintains the highest quality of scientific foundations of USP’s Monograph development process;
* Participates in the annual department budgeting and planning process;
* Participates in USP-based teams or committees to support business practices and initiatives;
* Recruits new staff to support business needs, and contributes to the development the next generation of scientific leaders;
* Develops and implements training plans for new staff;
* Establishes goals and metrics for the team, ensuring alignment with the program unit goals and organizational goals, and evaluates performance against established goals;
* Manages staff workload, deliverables and output; provides updates to the department head;
* Mentors the Scientific Liaisons in their relationship with the USP Council of Experts and their Expert Committee in support of monograph development and revision; monitors Work Plan activities and facilitates progress;
* If necessary, advises Scientific Liaisons on monograph development and revision strategies;
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Ph.D in chemistry, pharmaceutical science, analytical science, or other relevant field with a minimum of 10 years of relevant, industry experience.
* Minimum of 4 years of experience supervising, leading teams, training, or mentoring of other staff members, including scientific staff.
* An equivalent combination of experience and education may be substituted.
Find more info on Next Page...