The J. N. Tata Endowment Scholarships (JNTE) 2011–2012, India
The J.N. Tata Endowment was set up in 1892 by the Founder of the Tata group, Jamsetji N. Tata, to encourage young people to avail of higher studies at some of the best universities in the world. It is the first Tata benefaction in the field of education, and possibly, the first of its kind, anywhere.
For the past 118 years the Endowment has been helping scholars of merit to fulfill their aspirations of a world class education through its loan scholarship programs. The scholarships are awarded for higher studies abroad in all disciplines and subjects. The Endowment annually, selects around 120 meritorious scholars through a rigorous selection process for the prestigious J.N. Tata Endowment loan scholarships for higher studies abroad. Over the years, several J.N. Tata scholars have distinguished themselves in various walks of life.
The Endowment awards loan scholarships only. The amount to be awarded to each scholar by way of the loan scholarship is determined by the norms, laid down for the purpose and does not cover the full cost of studies. The amount awarded as the loan scholarship ranges between Rs. 60,000/- (sixty thousand) and Rs. 4,00,000/- (four lakhs). All applicants do not necessarily qualify for the maximum amount.
The selected scholars may also qualify for a gift scholarship from the Jamsetji Tata Trust and a travel grant from the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust, as may be decided at the sole discretion of the Trustees of the concerned Trusts. A gift scholarship can be for a maximum amount of Rs. 3,80,000/- (three lakhs eighty thousand).
Who is Eligible?
* Only Indian nationals are eligible for the scholarship.
* Graduates of a recognised Indian University, with a consistently good academic record.
* Students in the final year of the degree course and those awaiting final year results.
* Academicians and other mid-career professionals, upto the age of 45 years, with experience in their fields, who wish to go abroad for further specialization.
How to Apply?
* Applications for the loan scholarships are invited by the Endowment once a year, through advertisements in leading Indian newspapers on the first Saturday of December, for the following academic year.
* The application is to be made on a prescribed form available in the Endowment’s Administrative Office from the first week of December till the dates specified.
* The prescribed application form can be obtained either personally, from the Endowment's Administrative Office on payment of an application fee of Rs. 100 by cash, or by sending a request by a 'money order' or ‘demand draft’ for the amount, giving the applicant's full name and address in the "Space for Communication".
* Completed application forms along with all the enclosures duly certified, should reach the Endowment's office on or before the dates specified for the year for which the scholarship is sought.
* Short listed candidates are required to come for a personal interview conducted by relevant subject experts in Mumbai during March – June. The personal interview is mandatory.