NISER invites applications for Ph.D. Program
NISER recognizes that modern scientific research is carried out in interstices amongst fuzzy domains and blurred boundaries. This entails encouraging a new scientific culture where members of our community attain to an intellectual agility unconstrained by the limitations of disciplinary conventions from the past. Faculty and Students will be given generous material support in the pursuit to realize this objective. Time and conversational space will be devoted to nascent propositions and hypothesis and the significantly small student-faculty ratio, an eventual full strength of 2000 students and 300 faculty, manifests the Institutes investment and hope in the future.
Minimum Educational Qualifications
Biological Sciences : 60% or equivalent GPA in Masters or M.Tech in any branches of Biology, Life Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Veterinary Sciences, Computer Sciences, Bioinformatics and Biotechnology. Students with Master’s degree in Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics having interest in pursuing a career in Biology are also encouraged to apply
Chemical Sciences : 60% or equivalent GPA in Masters in Chemistry or allied fields. Student with Master’s degree in any branches of Basic Sciences or M.Tech in Applied Chemistry or Computer Sciences with interest in pursuing career in Chemistry are also encouraged to apply
Physical Sciences : 60% or equivalent GPA in Master’s degree cumulatively till the last year/semester examination appeared in M.Sc majoring in Physics or M.E./M.Tech in Applied Physics.
Humanities and Social Sciences # : 55% or equivalent GPA in Masters in Social Sciences and allied disciplines
Computer Sciences : 60% or equivalent GPA in Masters in Computer Science, Electrical, Electronics Engineering or related fields, or Mathematics.
(a) Candidates applying for admission in School of Chemical Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences and Computer Sciences should have qualified at least one of these national level examinations i.e. CSIR-UGC NET/GATE/JEST/INSPIRE (Doctoral fellowship under AORC Scheme with fellowship) or any other equivalent national level examination, valid for the current year in the relevant area of research.
(b) Candidates applying for admission in School of Biological Sciences should have qualified at least one National Level Exam with fellowship (CSIR-NET, DST INSPIRE, DBT, ICMR or any other equivalent) and must have valid fellowship certificate for the year 2019 at the time of application. Fellowship certificate/award letter must be submitted at the time of application.
(c) Candidates applying for admission in School of Physical Sciences should have qualified at least one National Level Exam i.e CSIR-UGC NET/GATE/JEST or any other equivalent national level examination valid for the current year.
The scholarship given by NISER is Rs 25,000/- for first two years, which will subsequently be enhanced to Rs 28,000/- for remaining three years, subject to the condition that he/she fulfills all the requirements of the Institute that will be stipulated from time to time. Fellowship amount from external sources will be governed as per the rules of the respective funding agencies.
• The selection committee of the respective schools will short-list the candidates among those who meet the minimum educational qualifications and satisfy additional criteria which each school may set as deemed necessary.
• The short-listed candidates will be called for an interview, supplemented by a written test, if necessary, for the admission.
• Based on the academic record and the performance of the candidates in the selection process, the selection committee of the school will recommend candidates to the Chairman, Academic Council for admission to the Ph.D. program.
• All candidates called for the Test / Interview will be paid to and fro single, secondsleeper class railway fare by the shortest route from their place of residence to the Institute / venue of the Test and Interview. They have to produce evidence (railway ticket) in support of their claim.
How to Apply
• The application form has to be filled up online at niser.ac.in and candidates should follow stepwise instructions mentioned to complete the application submission process. At the time of application, along with this online form, the candidate should upload soft copy of the supporting documents as per the eligibility criteria.
• Candidates intending to apply for more than one school should fill up online application forms for each school and submit separate forms with appropriate supporting documents.
• Two sealed letters of reference in the prescribed format with signature of the referee on the envelope should be produced by the student at the time of interview. The copy of the reference letter is available online.
• NISER does not demand any application fee from the candidates who apply for Ph.D program.
• Online application will be activated on – 01.10.2018 (Mon)
• Last date for filling up online application – 02.11.2018 (Fri)
• List of short-listed candidates will be uploaded on NISER website latest by
1. School of Physical Sciences
2. School of Biological Sciences
3. School of Chemical Sciences
4. School of Humanities & Social Sciences
5. School of Computer Sciences
• Tentative dates for test/interview will be as follows:
1. School of Physical Sciences: 15th & 16th Dec 2018
2. School of Biological Sciences: 11th & 12th Dec 2018
3. School of Chemical Sciences: 10th & 11th Dec 2018
4. School of Humanities and Social Sciences: 28th & 29th Nov 2018
5. School of Computer Sciences 26th & 27th Nov 2018
• Each school will send the call letters to the candidates separately.
• Kindly refer to the website for the announcement of the selected candidates.
• The registration is scheduled to be held on 1st January, 2019 (Tuesday).
• If you have any further query, kindly send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org,
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org for Biology,
Physics, Chemistry, Humanities & Social Sciences and Computer Sciences respectively.
• Applicants are encouraged to visit school web page for information on research activities.
Address for communication and more details
Faculty-In Charge (Academic Affairs),
National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER),
Po-Bhimpur-Padanpur, Via-Jatni, Dist-Khurda-752050
See All Other Jobs in our Database