Invitation for Nominations / Applications for CDRI AWARDS for Excellence in Drug Research 2020
The CSIR-Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow, was seventh in the chain of CSIR labs that were established in India right after independence India with an aim for technological independence of the Nation. CSIR-CDRI was broadly mandated with the task to revolutionise the pharmaceutical sector, which was almost non-existent at that time for accessibility and affordability of drugs. Today, CSIR-CDRI has evolved into a unique institution possessing end-to-end expertise in the domain of new drug development - its human resource and infrastructure today is second to none. Besides being the breeding ground of huge highly trained human resource for the drug development and manufacturing, out of 20 new drugs discovered, developed and approved in the post-independent India, 11 (8 synthetic + 3 phytopharmaceuticals) are contributions of CSIR-CDRI, Lucknow. These include Centchroman, Arteether, Centbucridine, Gugulipid, Bacosides Enriched Standardized Extract of Bacopa, etc. Centchroman (Ormeloxifene), a non-steroidal contraceptive with almost no toxicity, is now part of the National Family Program, whereas a-(3 Arteether (antimalarial) is included in the National Malaria Program.
• However, from the National front, new drug discovery and development is still in its infancy in India. India is a leader in global generic pharmaceuticals manufacturing and is being called as Pharmacy of the developing world, however, many generics manufactured in India are at the end of their respective product life cycles. Further, our country has a high burden of both communicable & non-communicable diseases and is vulnerable to pandemics. Pharma industries interested in discovery and development of drugs for diseases of poor populace is almost nil. In order to pace with the global innovation, national priorities in health, also affordability of drugs, there is a need to augment R&D in developing new and cost-effective therapies that can address the huge disease burden of our country.
• With an aim to promote drug discovery and development research in India, CSIR - Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow has instituted CDRI Awards in the year 2004 to recognize scientific excellence in the country in the area of Drug Research and Development.
• Promoting excellence and recognising outstanding contributions to the Drug Research made by the scientists for their work done in India.
• These awards are given annually to the Indian Nationals below 45 years of age who have carried out outstanding research work in the area having direct bearing on Drug Research and Development.
• There are two separate individual awards each for the area of Chemical Sciences and Life Sciences.
• Each award carries a Cash prize of Rs. 20,000/- and a Citation.
• The awardees are expected to deliver an Award Oration on the cited work on the day of Award Felicitation Ceremony, usually held as a part of CSIR Foundation Day Celebrations at CSIR- CDRI.
• TA/DAofthe awardees forto-and-fro journey will be borne by CSIR-CDRI as per the prevailing rules of Travelling allowance of Government of India.
• Scientists / researchers who are engaged in basic and applied research in the area having direct bearing on drug research and development and have made outstanding contributions with potential for application / product and technology development.
• Age should be below 45 years, as reckoned on 17 February of the year of award.
• Must be a citizen of India
• The research work for which nomination/application is made must have been carried out in India.
Nomination / application for CDRI Awards for the year 2020
• Head of the Institutions / Organizations / Universities / Industries, Bhatnagar Awardees, Fellows of National Science Academies can nominate the most deserving scientists / researchers who are engaged in basic and applied research in the area having direct bearing on drug research and development and have made outstanding contributions with potential for application / product and technology development.
• Eligible Candidates can also directly submit the application.
• Word file of proforma for Nomination/application can be downloaded from http : cdri.res.in
• Information regarding Nomination / application should be sent as per the prescribed proforma (a softcopy in PDF format and a Hard copy).
• Complete information as per enclosed proforma along with requisite enclosures must reach the address given in the proforma by 31 December 2019 for consideration.
> The committee comprising of eminent scientists scrutinize the nominations/ applications and select the CDRI Awardees.
See All Other Jobs in our Database