ANTI-ANEMIC ACTIVITY OF HYDRO-ALCOHOLIC EXTRACT SEEDS OF FOENICULUM VULGARE IN PHENYLHYDRAZINE INDUCED ANEMIC RATS
Table 2 - Effect of seed of Foeniculum vulgare on haemoglobin, RBC and percentage haematocrit.
Data were expressed as Mean ± SEM (n=6)
*P<0.05, ** P<0.01 and *** P<0.001 vs. Anemic Control
The hydro-alcoholic extract of seeds of Foeniculum vulgare showed the presence of alkaloids, flavonoid, iron, saponins, carbohydrates, amino acids, glycoside, proteins and fixed oil & fats. Anti-anemic activity of Foeniculum vulgare seeds extract on Phenylhydrazine induced haemolytic anemia in rats was studied and the results were shown on table 2. The anti-anemic activity of Foeniculum vulgare seeds extract was assessed by determining the red blood cell count, haemoglobin and haematocrit percentage. Phenylhydrazine decreased the RBC, Hb and % HCT as compared with normal control. There was significant (P<0.001) increase in RBC and Hb with both Vitamin B12 and Foeniculum vulgare seeds extract against phenylhydrazine provocation. Also there was significant (P<0.01) increase in % HCT with both Vitamin B12 and Foeniculum vulgare seeds extract. This shows that Foeniculum vulgare seeds have anti anemic activity against phenylhydrazine induced haemolytic anemia in rats and it has comparable effect as that of the standard drug Vitamin B12.
It has been concluded that the Hydro-alcoholic seed extract of Foeniculum vulgare exhibits anti-anemic activity against phenylhydrazine induced anemia in rats. The anti-anemic effect produced by the Foeniculum vulgare seed may be due to its high content of iron which is present in the plant.
|IRON 18.5 mg (142 %) per 100 g|
1. Gupta Deepanshu, et al. April-June 2018 “Anti-anemic activity of hydro-alcoholic leaf extract of brassica oleracea var in phenylhydrazine induced anemic rats”, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Vol -7, Issue-2.
2. http://www.who.int/topics/anaemia/en/ cited: 25-08-2017.
3. Hussain Aafreen, et al, 2017 “Anti-anemic Activity of Seeds of Trigonella Foenum-graecum in Male Albino Rats”, J Pharm Biomed Sci | Vol. 06 No. 11| 608–612.
4. Joshi Ankur, et al, 04, April, 2017 “Anti-anemic activity of hydro alcoholic leaf extract of Aegle marmelos in phenylhydrazine induced anemic rats”, International Journal of Current Research, Vol. 9..
5. Joshi Ankur, et al, 2017 “Anti-anemic activity of hydro alcoholic leaf extract of Tamarindus Indica in phenylhydrazine induced anemic rats”, journal of harmonized research in applied sciences, 5(3), 132-135.
6. Khandelwal K.R., 2013 “Practical Pharmacognosy”, 22nd ed., Pune, Nirali prakashan, , 149-156.
7. Mohan Harsh, 2005 “Textbook of pathology”, 5th edition, New Delhi, Jaypee Brothers, Medical publishers (p) ltd., 133.
8. Tortora J. Gerard, Derrickson Bryan, 2015 “Anatomy & physiology”, 13th ed., Indian edition, New Delhi, Wiley India pvt. Ltd., 603-623.
NOW YOU CAN ALSO PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE ONLINE.
SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE/PROJECT AT email@example.com
FIND OUT MORE ARTICLES AT OUR DATABASE