Job for Director, Science - Chemical Medicines at USP
The U.S.Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Post : Director, Science - Chemical Medicines
The Director (Team Leader), Science, Chemical Medicines is a key people leadership role within the Chemical Medicines & General Chapters Program Unit of the Science Division. The incumbent leads a team of Scientific Liaisons, ensuring alignment with the overall program unit and organization goals. The Director supervises the performance, training and development of the staff and ensures team work and collaboration within the team as well as with other key USP staff. The incumbent oversees all aspects of new monograph development and revision, and monograph modernization for teams aligned with the Small Molecules Expert Committees. The Director works closely with USP stakeholders across the organization to exchange information, obtain resources, solicit input, and advance the work.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership to scientists working in the area of monograph development and revision in accordance with established SOPs, business practices and procedures;
- Fosters a culture of continuous improvement—tracks team productivity and works to remove barriers to productivity;
- Participates in the annual department budgeting and planning process;
- Participates in USP-based teams or committees to support business practices and initiatives;
- Recruits new staff to support business needs, and contributes to the development the next generation of scientific leaders;
- Develops and implements training plans for new staff;
- Establishes goals and metrics for the team, ensuring alignment with the program unit goals and organizational goals, and evaluates performance against established goals;
- Manages staff workload, deliverables and output; provides updates to the department head;
- Mentors the Scientific Liaisons in their relationship with the USP Council of Experts and their Expert Committee in support of monograph development and revision; monitors Work Plan activities and facilitates progress;
- If necessary, advises Scientific Liaisons on monograph development and revision strategies;
- Develops new and/or revises existing processes to facilitate efficient monograph development and revision;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated success in a people leadership role. Strong business acumen combined with both management and leadership ability.
- Influential leader with the ability to drive problem resolution, transformation, and organizational change.
- Effective coach and mentor to staff. Ability to identify and develop talent.
- Demonstrated stakeholder collaboration experience, with the ability to quickly develop and manage internal and external relationships and contacts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to develop and deliver presentations to Senior Management and the entire organization.
- Demonstrated research, technical, and analytical skills, as well as the ability to take highly technical scientific information and make strategic recommendations quickly.
- Ability to lead in a fast paced environment with changing deadlines and priorities
Find more info on Next Page...