You are hereEffect of Oscimum Basilicum on Formulation and Evaluation of Rapid Disintegrating Tablet of Lamotrigine
Effect of Oscimum Basilicum on Formulation and Evaluation of Rapid Disintegrating Tablet of Lamotrigine
The Rapid Disintegrating Tablets have potential advantages over conventional dosage forms, with their improved patient compliance; convenience, bioavailability and rapid onset of action had drawn the attention of many manufactures over a decade. The introduction of fast dissolving dosage forms has solved some of the problems encountered in administration of drugs to the pediatric and elderly patient, which constitutes a large proportion of the world's population. Hence, patient demand and the availability of various technologies have increased the market share of Fast dissolving tablets, which in turn prolongs the patent life of a drug. Keeping in view of the advantages of the delivery system, rapidly disintegrating dosage forms have been successfully commercialized, and because of increased patient demand, these dosage forms are expected to become more popular. Thus RAPID DISINTEGRATING TABLETS may be developed for most of the available drugs in near future.
Rapid Disintegrating Tablet is the selected drug delivery system as lamotrigine is used in the epileptic seizures thus it would be the best delivery system when one need a rapid onset of action.Choice of Lamotrigine which is BCS Class II drug, associated with its solubility problem thus onset of action is delayed which is not advisable for the patients with epileptic seizures. So by preparing a rapid disintegrating tablet of same would help in the formulation of such a dosage form which will overcome these mentioned disadvantages.Oscimum basilicum plant was procured from the local nursery and the seeds were separated from same.A comparative study of number of synthetic superdisintegrants was done and the two superdisintegrants were selected based on the objective of the project and feasibility which are Cross linked alginic acid and cross linked PVP.Other excipients which are important for the formulation of rapid disintegratimg tablet were selected.Isolation Of Oscimum Basilicum Seeds Mucilage From Oscimum Basilicum Seeds Was Performed Succesfully.Isolated Oscimum Basilicum Seeds Mucilage Was Characterized On The Basis Of Its Organoleptic Properties, Micromeritic Properties ( Angle Of Repose, Bulk Density, Tapped Density, Compressibility Index, Hausners Ratio, Particle Size) Along With Melting Point And Solubility Determination Was Also Performed.Physicochemical Characterization Of Oscimum Basilicum Seeds Mucilage Is Also Done. All the test results are allowing to proceed further to use it as a superdisintegrant. Preformulation studies on Lamotrigine were performed including identification of drug by organoleptic properties study, λ max determination, FTIR studies and other parameters including Melting Point Determination , pH Determination, Partition Coefficient Determination, Solubility studies (Quantitative and Qualitative), Standard Curve in different solvent. It would be possible to get the rapid onset of action of the anti epileptic drug Lamotrigine and thus can control the serious epileptic convulsions in the minimum time.
1. Adel M, Semreen M K, Qato M K. 2005. Fast dissolving dosage forms – technique. Pharm Tech. 2005; 25: 68-75.
2. Allen L V wang B. Method of making a rapidly dissolving tablet. US patent, 1986; 43: 123-131.
3. Dangagi P M, Sreenivas S A, Mastiholimath V S. Orodispersible tablets: New fangled drug delivery system a review. Ind. J Pharm. Edu. Res. 39:4.
4. Indurwade N H, Rajyaguru T H, Nakhat P D. Novel approach – Fast dissolving tablets, Indian Drugs. 2001; 39: 405-409.
5. Kaushik D. Mouth dissolving tablets: A review. Ind Drugs. 2004; 41: 187-193.
6. Kuchekar B S, Badhan A C. Design of fast dissolving tablets. Ind J. Pharm Edu. 2001; 35:150.
7. Slowson M, Slowson S. What to do when patients cannot swallow their medications. Pharm. Times. 1985; 51: 90-96.
8. Seager, H. Drug-deliver Products and the Zydis Fast-dissolving Dosage Form. J. Pharm. and Pharmacol. 1998; 50: 375-382.
9. Mizumoto T, Allen A, Loyd V. Methods for producing a rapidly dissolving dosage form. US patent 1996; 5: 576.
10. Reddy L H, Ghosh B, Rajneesh T. Fast dissolving drug delivery system a review of the literature. Ind J. of Pharm Sci. 2002; 64: 331-336.\
11. Ismail M , Ababio, G.; Habib, M. J., Central Properties and Chemical Composition of Ocimum Basilicum, 2006., 15 (1), 25-45
12. Baritaux O, Gangwar S, Singh S, Garg G, Pawar V, Sharma P K Effects of drying and storage on herbs of Ocimum basilicum L., 1992; 2:1-7.
13. Akgul A, Alanazi F K, Ibrahim M, Bagory E, Ibrahim A A, Mohsen A B, Moustafa A Analysis of composition of sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) cultivating in Turkey, 1989; 16: 117-21
NOW YOU CAN ALSO PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE ONLINE.
SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE/PROJECT AT firstname.lastname@example.org
FIND OUT MORE ARTICLES AT OUR DATABASE
FIND MORE ARTICLES